We are delighted to invite you to Cottenham Village College on Thursday 7th October for our annual Open Evening at the following times:
- 5.45pm-6.45pm: Parents/Carers of children at Cottenham, Wilburton, Stretham and Rackham primary schools
- 7.00pm-8.00pm: Parents/Carers of children at Willingham, Waterbeach, Sutton, Robert Arkenstall and Ely St. Johns primary schools
If your child’s primary school is not listed above please email us (Reception@astreacottenham.org) and we will be pleased to allocate you a time.
Whilst we are delighted that we will be able to open our doors once again to prospective new families, we are also very aware that we are hosting a large event when Covid-19 is still prevalent in society. We would therefore like to recommend that visitors take the following precautions before attending our Open Evening:
- It is vitally important that you attend the correct session for your child’s primary school for the safety of all visitors. Please arrive via the main reception at either 5.40pm or 6.55pm in order that we can ensure that your tour can start on time.
- Wherever possible, we would like to request that only one parent/carer and Year 6 child attend our Open Evening to ensure the safety of our students, staff and wider community as much as possible.
- Although we understand that Year 4 and 5 parents/carers and their families would like to visit us we would recommend that you defer your visit until next year to allow capacity for Year 6 families.
- We would request that, if possible, face coverings are worn.
- We would also like to recommend that any visitors over the age of 11 take a Lateral Flow test before attending. Further information can be found here: Regular rapid lateral flow coronavirus (COVID-19) tests – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
You will be allocated a student guide who will assist you in moving around the school and answer any questions you may have. The tour will last for one hour and will include timed visits to all Year 7 curriculum areas. You will have an opportunity to ask questions to members of staff and the student guides during the tour but if you need to ask any further questions, please do email Reception@astreacottenham.org and we can answer any additional questions. We urge you to not email the school with questions before the 7th October as the evening may well answer them for you.
I am aware that some families may not be available to attend our Open Evening so the College’s video presentation will be online this year and available to access from 7th October (https://www.astreacottenham.org/year-6-transition/) Our website contains some valuable resources to help support transition to Cottenham Village College. The website will be updated during the year so please do revisit it regularly to find further updates in preparation for your child starting Year 7 in September 2022. If you would like a copy of the school prospectus, please do email Reception@astreacottenham.org requesting one. We also have two Open Mornings (Tuesday 12th October and Thursday 14th October) available for you to see the school in action, but places will need to be booked and are limited for safety reasons. The timings for both mornings are 9.05am-10.00am and 10.05am-11.00am. Please use the email above to book a place for one of the two slots. In the meantime, I am pleased to share some key dates for our transition process this academic year which are as follows:
- Deadline for Applications: 31st October 2021 https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/children-and-families/schools-learning/apply-for-a-school-place/secondary-school
- National Offer Date: 1st March 2022
- Year 6 Parent/Carer Information Evening: 22nd June 2022 6-7pm
- Transition visits for Year 6 Students at Cottenham VC: 11th to 13th July 2022
We look forward to welcoming you to Cottenham Village College.
Mrs Andrews, Principal